Callum appearing at UK Barista Championship 2017 Finals
Theme of routine: Epiphany coffees; How one coffee can open someone's eyes to a bigger world.
Region: Santa Clara
Lot: Zorro Micro Lot
Altitude: 1700 masl
Recipe: 18 grams of coffee - 30 second extraction - 40 grams of espresso in the cup
The farm has nutrient rich black volcanic soils a high altitude and weather patterns which gives stable humidity of around 80%, an average temperature of 28 degrees and ample rainfall of around 4 metres throughout the year which all equates to a high quality to growth.
Espresso tasting notes:
This coffee is very aromatic so expect lots of bergamot on the nose
Milk tasting notes:
- Lavender finish
- 2 shots of espresso
- 5ml of organic honey
- 130ml of flat tonic water
- 2 x grapefruit rinds
- Clear ice
"I wanted to create something that’s refreshing and palate cleansing. And really shows the delicate nature of this coffee."
- Pull each espresso shot over 5ml of organic honey This is done as we need the heat of the espresso to help break down the honey and help it mix into the drink. It's going to add sweetness into the middle of the drink to balance some of the bitters the grapefruit rind can bring which we will be introducing shortly.
- Now add in 130ml of tonic water that's been left to flatten slightly as we want just a light fizz for this drink. Tonic water contains quinine which comes from a family of plants called Rubiaceae. These are flowering plants and the same family that our beloved coffee plant is a part of. They have a fantastic synergy which you will find in this drink.
- Add 2 pink grapefruit rinds heated up to release oils as we want to bring back more of that acidity we found in the espresso course to really help the flavors bounce around your palate.
- Shake in a cocktail shaker (hold the top well as it will fizz) as it helps bind everything together and reduces separation and I’m using cocktail ice which is very dense to reduce dilution.
- Serve over cocktail ice as keeping this drink nice and chilled helps all the floral flavours and sweetness come through.
Honey, Jasmine, Chocolate Orange, Grapefruit Finish